How are you all doing sheltering at home and social distancing? I hope you are well and staying healthy during this COVID-19 pandemonium. The last meal out that my husband and I enjoyed before we started sheltering at home was when we grabbed a quick bite at the IHOP on Douglas Boulevard! If I had known at the time that we wouldn’t be back inside a restaurant for many weeks (perhaps months), I think we would have chosen a different restaurant that night!
We had our first ZOOM hosted NeedleNerds meeting in April. If you weren’t able to make that meeting, here’s another chance for you to attend. We’d love to see you, find out what you’ve been working on, and hear how you are doing.
Our May meeting is this coming Monday, May 4th, from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
You can join the meeting by pressing the link below around 7:00 pm on Monday and then entering the password when you are prompted to do so:
Date & Time: Monday, May 4th
Time: 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Password: (email me for the password)
If you haven’t already installed the ZOOM app to your smartphone, you can download the app by clicking one of the links below:
Android app: Download ZOOM app at Google Play store
iPhone app: Download ZOOM app at the Apple Apps Store
You can also log into the ZOOM meeting from a computer by pressing the meeting link provided above. After you press the link you will be asked to install and enable an add-in to the browser you use, once the add-in is installed, you should be able to connect to the meeting.
Here are some suggestions you can follow for this meeting:
- If you are using a phone, make sure the phone’s battery is fully charged
- Using a headphone might make it easier for you to hear the conversation (and will also shut out any other noises that might be going on in your house.
- If you want us to see you, hold or place your phone fairly close to your face (arms length away is probably good) and have the lighting in the room in front of you (so the light illuminates your face). For example sitting facing a window or lamp provides much better illumination of your face than sitting with your back to a window or lamp.
- Hold the phone so you are looking straight or slightly down at the screen, rather than looking up at the screen (in which case we might be able to count all the hairs in your nostrils (LOL).
- If you are participating inside your house, you might need to close the door of the room where you are to keep out any other noise (dogs barking, husbands talking, etc,)
I’ve tested ZOOM out several times friends over the last month and I’ve played around with the app a bit and here’s what I’ve learned:
When you log into the ZOOM meeting by clicking the link above and enter the password when prompted to do so, you’ll see a screen that looks something like this one (that’s my picture 🙂 )
Please take note of the red “End” icon on the top right hand side of the screen, the white audio icon on the top left hand side of screen and the Mute, Start Video, Share, Participants icons that you see on the bottom of the screen. These icons “hide”, so you may not see them on your screen.
If the icons are hidden, move your finger (if you’re on a phone) or mouse (if you’re on a computer) towards the top or bottom of the screen and they will pop up on the screen.
- You can adjust the volume by tapping the audio icon on the top right hand side of your screen
- If no-one can hear you, tap the Mute icon to unmute the audio (if your audio is muted, the mute icon will have a line across it)
- If no-one can see you, tap the Start Video icon so we can see you (in the screenshot, the line across the Start Video indicates that my phone’s video is turned off)
- If you are using a computer, and the computer doesn’t have a video cam, you won’t be able to turn the video on.
- To leave the meeting, tap END, found in the top right hand corner of the screen.