Here’s the reading list and tentative dates for the books the Epilogue Book Club will be reading over the next several months:
- Underground Railroad, by Colson Whitehead (2017) – 5/13/2018
- The Road, by Cormac McCarthy (2007) – 6/27/2018
- The Late George Apley, by John Phillips Marquand (1938) – 8/11/2018
- The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck (1932) – 9/25/2018
- The Sympathizer, by Viet Thanh Nguyen (2016) – 11/9/2018
- The Age of Innocence, by Edith Wharton (1921) – 12/24/2018
- The Yearling, by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (1939) – 2/7/2019
- Honey in the Horn, by Harold L. Davis (1936) – 3/24/2019
- The Reivers, by William Faulkner (1963) – 5/8/2019
You may have noticed that I’m finally kicking of the restart of the Epilogue Book Club where we’ll read and discuss a prize winning novel approximately every 6 weeks. Right now we’re reading Pulitzer Prize winning fiction, but we may branch out in the future to include other prize winning books, such as National Book Award books.
Instead of coordinating face to face meeting times with everyone who is reading the book, we’ll conduct our discussions on the web. Here’s how it will work:
- I’ll post a new blog entry whenever we begin reading a new book – I’ve already posted a blog entry for our first book here.
- Because you’ve signed up to receive notifications via email whenever I publish a new blog entry about the Epilogue Book Club, you’ll receive an email with the name of the book and the date for the “meeting” along with a link to the blog post where we will discuss the book.
- Read the book at your own pace, and then post your comments to the blog post that is assigned to the book (see #2 above). Read and respond to the other members’ comments at your leisure.
- We’ll conclude our discussions of the book by the “meeting” date.
I’m not sure how all of this will work since I’ve never participated in an online book club before, so I’m sure some things will change as we learn more about how things works. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please feel free to share them.
To help you plan for future reading, I’ve published another article to the blog that shows the next several books we’re scheduled to read.
Right now, seven people have signed up to read along with the club. To kick things off, please think about posting a a little bit about yourself in a comment to this post so the other members in the group can get to know you a little.
If you know of another reader who would be interested in joining the club, please share this article with them and encourage them to sign up!
The Epilogue Book Club is now reading the 2017 Pulitzer Prize winning novel by Colson Whitehead. We will be reading and commenting on The Underground Railroad until May 13, 2018.
Here’s some links about this book that you might find of interest:
Here’s some useful information about books that all the avid readers out there might appreciate:
We’ve probably all bought books from Amazon.com, but there are lots of other places on the web where you can get cheap books*.
Don’t forget about our local used bookstore, Douglasville Books, located at 7191 Douglas Blvd, Douglasville, GA (770.949.4363). If they’ve got the book, you probably won’t find it anywhere cheaper.
*Thanks to Sandra for providing links to these great online sources for new and used books. Continue reading Reading on a Budget